Compassionate Personal Injury Guidance in South Florida
Collisions involving cars, busses, trucks, or any other type of automobile can result in serious, life-changing injuries. Victims may be able to recover damages when a crash is caused by another driver’s negligence.
At Jurney & De La Grana, P.A., our clients matter to us. Our Miami automobile accident lawyers provide relentless personal injury representation and are committed to helping our clients obtain the compensation they deserve. No questions go unanswered when you come to us for help, and we will ensure you understand the full extent of your legal options.
We have the skills and resources to win these cases, and you will get our full and undivided attention. Our firm works with renowned experts, investigators, and specialists to strengthen our clients’ claims, and we will leverage all of our resources when fighting for you.
When To Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
It’s usually best to contact an experienced Miami car accident attorney as soon as possible after a car accident. The first reason for this is the statute of limitations which is a law that dictates the amount of time an individual has to file a personal injury claim.
According to the Florida Statutes section 95.11(3)(a) the state of Florida has a four-year time limit. This means you have four years from the date of your accident to file a claim before you lose your right to do so along with your right to recover compensation. There are some exceptions to this law where the filing time may change, including:
- If the injury victim is deemed legally incapacitated
- The negligent party left the state before a claim could be filed
- The negligent party intentionally concealed their identity to avoid being served
Beyond the statute of limitations, which applies to all personal injury claims, injuries sustained in car accidents are different than other injuries in that they are most usually soft tissue injuries. Soft tissue injuries are injuries that affect the tendons, ligaments and muscles.
These types of injuries typically progressively get worse over a few days or even weeks after the injury occurred. An example of a soft tissue injury that is commonly sustained in a car crash is whiplash.
Because of this, many car accident victims sign a compensation agreement with an insurance company before talking to a lawyer only to discover later that their injuries are worse than they initially believed but are not able to recover any additional compensation. If you have suffered injuries at the hands of a negligent driver, talk to our experienced lawyers for help today!
The aftermath of a car accident can be frightening and disorienting, no matter the severity of the crash. Your top priority should be seeking emergency medical attention if you or anyone else has suffered serious injuries. If you can stay at the scene, you should take steps to gather evidence and protect your right to recover compensation.
After a Florida automobile accident, remember to:
- Stay quiet. You may be tempted to tell the driver you are okay or apologize out of instinct, but anything you say may be distorted and eventually used against you. Do not admit fault and be careful about what you say to the other motorist.
- Contact law enforcement. You may be legally required to file a report with the police if the crash is serious enough, and it is often advantageous to just have an officer come to the scene. The police will produce an official report that may become an essential piece of evidence.
- Document the scene. Photograph your injuries, damage to your vehicle, the roadways, and any factors that may have contributed to the crash. Look around for any traffic cameras that could have filmed the collision.
- Obtain contact information. Collect the names, telephone numbers, addresses, insurance information, and driver’s license information of all motorists involved in the crash. If any witnesses saw what happened, try and get their names, telephone numbers, and addresses.
- See a medical professional. You should get checked out by your doctor as soon as possible. A medical professional may be able to identify injuries that are not visible or immediately apparent. Keep a copy of the medical report and follow all treatment advice.
- Call a legal professional. Consult a lawyer before speaking to your insurance company. Our Miami automobile accident attorneys can walk you through what you should say. We can also manage communications with the other motorist’s insurance company and legal representatives.
Many victims suffer long-term consequences after a vehicular accident. Some are left with catastrophic injuries that require expensive ongoing care and keep them from working, and even victims with comparatively minor injuries can still be saddled with costly hospital bills and weeks of missed wages.
You should never have to worry about covering these expenses when an accident was not your fault, and our team at Jurney & De La Grana, P.A. is determined to help make the situation right.
A successful automobile accident in South Florida can help you recover compensation for:
- Medical bills, including expenses associated with future injury-related care
- Lost wages and reductions in earning capacity
- Property damage
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages
The state of Florida enforces time limits for automobile accident lawsuits. You will only have four years from the date of the crash to file a personal injury claim. If an automobile accident results in death, the victim’s loved ones will have two years from the date of their passing to pursue a wrongful death claim.
We are prepared to handle and refute arguments that you were partially responsible for causing the accident. The other motorist’s legal team may allege you were driving recklessly or failing to obey one or more traffic rules.
Even if you were partially at fault, you can still recover damages under Florida’s comparative negligence laws. In these cases, your damage award will be reduced by what the court determines to be your percentage of responsibility.
Our Miami automobile accident lawyers are ready to aggressively advocate for you in and out of the courtroom. We know how to build strong cases and will always fight to recover the maximum amount of damages. Our firm can also assist you if you have been injured in a motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian accident.
“Professional, attentive and client driven. Fantastic service”- Diana C.